most of my thoughts cannot be put into words, here are the few that can

Monday, October 21, 2013

Santa Claus and God

When I was little I worshiped Santa Claus and the whole Christmas season. 

Then my parents told me he didn't exist. They acted like they were good at keeping secrets, and that it was funny, and thought I was grown up enough to stop thinking of childish fantasies.

And I was like, "fuck you."

Now switch the viewpoint of me and my parents, and you've got my perspective on God. 

I want to tell my parents that he doesn't exist, that i'm good at keeping secrets, that it's funny, and that they need to grow up.

But I don't want to grow up. I want to believe in Santa, and in God. I want to continue with my fantasies. 

11 comments:

  1. I believed in Santa until I was in 7th grade... that was the worst Christmas of my life.

    "But I don't want to grow up. I want to believe in Santa, and in God. I want to continue with my fantasies." I really freaking like this

    ReplyDelete
  2. "But I don't want to grow up. I want to believe in Santa, and in God. I want to continue with my fantasies. "
    I love this. Deep, real, emotional, and real! I don't think I've either worked up the guts, or snapped to say anything like this.
    Grand Slam!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've thought a lot about this as a dad. The whole Santa thing.

    They get older and we trust them with the truth. But then we still expect them to believe us about God.

    Now, to me...God is real. Santa is not. But how does a young person reconcile these two things?

    Good post.

    (Though I thought the F bomb was a bit extreme for a young pre-pubescent to say, no matter how pissed off he was.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. And I was like, "fuck you."
    Well that was beautiful in a not so beautiful kind of way.
    Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this was SO good. the way you tied santa and God together in the same post was really cool. and props for havin the balls to really express yourself and lettin the F bomb go. haha thought that was awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never stop believing...ever. Without belief, where would anyone be? :{)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You go on believing what you want. Nobody can stop you from believing, and nobody can make you grow up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is exactly how i feel. about santa. and God.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have the exact same views. You are brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The title got me on this one. then I read the post then the comments. Sometimes I want to meet you again will true me at hand. I am good at keeping secrets and its not funny.

    ReplyDelete